Monday, October 2

A month in, a month out

It's been a month at home in Delware and now a month on my own in Charlotte, NC, since I returned from Kenya July 27th. I spent August getting my life together: purchasing a 2003 Toyota Matrix, securing a lease for a house in Charlotte and packing out, packing in for the move down South. Then in September I jumped into the hardly-wonderful world of job-hunting, with a little soul-searching mixed in.

Now it's October, and tomorrow I begin a part-time job with EQV Development, a company that builds cellphone towers. Here's a link to an article about a guy who does what I do, minus the high-wires. I'm hoping the job gives me a good taste of what working in city planning would involve, and if I want to combine my M.Div with some studies in urban development.

It's been a tough month (Sept.), fluctuating from just getting a job to pay the bills (like waiting tables) to really searching for something that might interest me further down the road. Thankfully, I have very supportive friends and family, as well as the finances to spend a month looking around for something that interests me. At times I felt I was a stubborn college-educated American, refusing to work for less than $10/hr. At others I felt I wasn't fully following God's call to do more with my education from Davidon and experience in Africa.

In the midst of these life struggles, I've enjoyed time with friends whom I haven't seen in over a year. I have especially enjoyed living closer to Emily, and our relationship deepens by the day.

In the depths of woe God's graces abound. May it be also with you.

No comments: