Monday, July 26

Praying

To read more about the Goma Experience, please visit the Goma Team's Blog.'

This morning, like all Monday mornings, I joined the pastoral team to spread out and pray for various persons throughout the hospital.  I think these have been my first pastoral visits in a hospital setting - ever.  Quite a place to start!

I went around the orthopedics rooms with three other pastors, and when I spoke one of them translated.  I've been able to speak a little Swahili, but even English words are hard to muster when facing so much suffering.  Many persons were in casts and a few had lost limbs.  Some were full of life, even when they couldn't move, and a few had that 1,000 yard stare.  We spent the time praying for them, offering words of encouragement and greeting them with a handshake and blessing.

Experiences like these are most humbling.  I feel like I can't DO anything.  Yet it's precisely this realization that I can't do anything that is transformative, that reminds me of our dependence on the power and grace of God.  We are all connected to each other and to God's Spirit, but sometimes during our independent streaks we forget this.

May you be reminded of your dependence on God and others today.  May this realization not cause you worry or anxiety.  And may your soul find a peace deeper than your understanding.

No comments: