Sunday, July 30

Back Home Soaking

I've arrived safe 'n' sound back home. It's good to be back. (So far) the transition has been as smooth as American roads, without the bumps, hic-ups or swerves I habitually endured in Kenya, and had come to expect on my return home. I'm sure more thoughts will come, from the profound down to the absurd, and yet I'm content to just go through the motions (for now).

The only thing that's weirded me out is how late it gets here! At the equator, sunrise and sunset change very minimally throughout the year, making a watch quite unnecessary. With days so exorbitantly long, I'm finding rest all the more satisfying.

I've been asked the usual questions, like, "How was it?" "Are you glad to be back?" "Where were you?" "What will you do now?" along with the one-word response to my answers, "Wow." "Geez" "Incredible." "Huh.". So far I and they both have had incredible patience with each other. I think as time passes the memories will soak deeper into my life-sponge, and it will only take a small poke for me to 'leak out' a few tears and words from experience passed yet still present.

For now, I'm soaking in the little things: It's good to have dinner with my family. It's assuring to hold Emily in my arms. It's fun to laugh with an old friend, Andrew. It's wonderful to drive. It's delightful to eat cool food in the summer heat.

Time will tell more of the mystery still hidden.

No comments: