Tuesday, August 17

Slowing Down


Pole Pole - That's Swahili for "Slow Down." (Interesting side note: "pole" - pronounced "poh-lay" - all by itself means "sorry.") It's a great phrase to know when your driver is going to fast for your comfort or someone (usually a Mzungu - foreigner/white person) is trying to push things to move too fast.

Our American culture tends to go much faster than the African cultures I've experienced. Whereas we try to "take time" to do something, they "hold time" in order to get things done. I can definitely feel my pace of life having slowed down as a result of my time in Africa... and also the fact that there is so much to do in so little time, with getting ready for my exegesis ord exam at the end of the month, getting our community house together and gearing up to speed at the church.

It's times like these where I hear a voice whisper in my ear, "pole pole." The challenge is trust that the voice is right, and that what will be done, will be done.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: