Tuesday, November 15

Aerobics

Today I went to Kikuyu, a small town outside of Nairobi. When my family comes over Christmas, we will be volunteering at an orphanage here, building a puppet theater, playing games and enjoying time with the children. I had only been there once before, yet the Kenyans warmly welcomed me to their home. I'm very excited about working with them and spending a week in a close Kikuyu community.

My friend and fellow volunteer, Rachel (or Lachel, as her students say her name), invited me to Aerobics class... at an all-girls academy. All I can say is, doing aerobics in boots and jeans is awkward enough. Afterwards we stumbled upon a high school girls function. I thought it was a dance party, but apparently they were just pre-partying before a movie screening. I showed 'em a few of my mzungu moves before piecin' out, straight thug-struttin'.

David, our aerobics instructor and the only other male in the class, walked home with us and mentioned that it was his birthday in a few days. Being pumped-up from the dancing, I suggested he come to Nairobi Saturday and take us to the bumpin' clubs; my treat. As we parted, he exclaimed he had never celebrated his birthday before. I hope everything works out and we can have a lil' shindig for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1 MONTH AND 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!



BOO YAH.