Friday, November 18

A Typical Day in the Office

I've decided to do a 'bland' entry today, simplying writing about what my day looks like when I'm not traveling around to our various project sites. The purpose of this email is two-fold: to give some point of reference to those of you interested in what I do on a daily basis, and to hold myself accountable to whatever is I should be doing.

I arrive at work around 8:30 AM. After greeting the few co-workers already there, I turn on my computer. I then spend the next 10 to 15 minutes readying my daily devotionals - Daily Light and My Utmost for His Highest - as well as a few bible passages, occassionally writing in my journal. I then say a short prayer, sharing my thoughts, goals and worries for the day with God.

For the next hour or so I will read email, write a few of my own, and browse some websites (including this one). I then will begin working on numerous projects: articles for a newsletter, emails to a project partner, human interest stories, typing up notes from project visits, organizing photos from trips, downloading useful programs (like converting files to .pdf), ETC - end of thought capacity. I like to multi-task, and unfortunately my desktop computer doesn't like it when I have open AOL IM, MS Word, MS Publisher, Picasa, and Internet Explorer; not to mention how many windows of each. So some of my time is spent waiting on ol' slug-butt here to get on with it.

Often I am easily distracted by a co-worker, who tends to ask one of three questions (or all three):
- Habari yako? (How are you?)
- Would you like to come with me to [place] to do [action]?
- I want to do [this] on my computer. Can you show me how?

For example, yesterday I was invited to a school to take pictures at a parents' meeting. Invariably, we'll pick up some other people involved in our work and take longer than expected. I enjoy this, however, as I get to meet new people and get out of the office. Today I helped Sammy, my co-worker in the Emergency Response Program department, find some photos from last year and insert them into Word. Usually I pack a lunch, but today I was invited to each lunch with some partners at our office for a meeting. Luckily, I haven't had to attend too many meetings thus far.

All of my co-workers are very hard-working, competent Kenyans and I thoroughly enjoy working with them. Since I don't make direct decisions about the projects themselves, I play a more observer role rather than participant. Even so, I enjoy listening and helping out where I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


just kidding.

actually i read the whole thing, and found it interesting..