Monday, April 17

Easter Weekend on Indian Coast


Two friends, Mercy, a graphic designer, and Katie, an intern with an outdoors teambuilding corporation

This weekend I went with a young adult group from my church, Nairobi Chapel, to Maweni Camp, on the south coast of Mombasa overlooking the Indian Ocean. We had a great time enjoying our long weekend away from Nairobi and getting to know each other better.

We had a great time playing games, having small group discussion, journaling, swimming, tossing the frisbee and just hanging out. The theme of the weekend was not allowing others to look down on you because of your youth, but instead be an example to others in word, conduct, faith, love and purity (1 Tim 4:12).

As I've found typical of youth ministry here, I felt we focused a lot on sexual purity. While this is an important issue, our small group also talked about other ways we can be an example not only to our agemates but those both younger and older than us.


Albo leads another game, including the one above: a relay race where you have to dangle a pen (or "pilot" as Kenyans say) into a soda bottle without using your hands.


Probably my favorite part of the weekend was just getting a chance to relax on the beach. Although I didn't sleep well at night with the heat and mosquitoes, I had plenty of time to catch up as I lounged on the beach, sometimes rousing myself to enter the rather warm waters of the Indian Ocean.


Friend Krieg pauses to take it all in.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: