Thursday, June 15

Sick, Finally!

Last night I finally had a dose of the fabled traveler’s diarrhea. I’m not sure how I got it, but luckily it passed after a few hours, although I still feel a bit weak and dehydrated.

I’d been waiting to get sick, frankly, as I the only time I’ve been sick this year is on the way back from Sudan… and that was due to motion sickness, where I passed out only to wake up with a good deal of food residue on my shirt.

Many others have gotten sick here, including my roommate (on 5 separate occasions), another volunteer who’s had at least 3 bouts with malaria, and another volunteer friend who must have been sick every other week since he arrived in January.

I like to think I have an iron-stomach. It’s good to know that we all have weaknesses, and I am thankful to be humbled once more.

I also like to think I’m a healthy individual. It’s also good to be reminded that without good health, no one can do much of anything.

I am blessed, to be sick and have recovered. May God bless us everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUCK. that said, im a strong believer in the mcgowan iron stomach.. after all, i ate bratwurst in germany and lived....