Friday, May 26

Conned...?

“Evans, this is George of NGO Council. You once came to our place looking for Mr. Filbert Obadiah Sila Ngume. Did you later get him?”

Puzzled, I read over the SMS once again. I called this George of the NGO Council, and told him the only name I recognized was Sila, and the only Sila I knew is from a town called Salama. “Well, sir,” he responded, “We believe Mr. Sila conned you, and we are holding him in custody.”

Rewind a few months. I met a man on the street who introduced himself as Sila. Usually I’m asked for money for bus fares or tea, but this man was at a loss as how to pay for his daughter’s school fees. We met a couple of times thereafter, and during that time I determined he was telling the truth. I gave him a check for his daughter’s tuition so she could sit her last examination.

A month or two later, I visited Sila and his daughter at her school (LINK). I spoke with the headmistress and the school accountant, both of whom confirmed they had deposited my check and gave me a receipt. I heard from Sila a week later, who was stuck in Nairobi after his friend died in a car accident. I gave him $3 for bus fare and that was the last I heard of him.

Until now. “No, sir,” I emphatically stated over the crackly connection, “Sila did NOT con me.” “You’re saying he did not take advantage of you?” “Yes, he is a good man. Please release him from jail.” “OK, thank you sir.”

[Nearly a month later and I still do not know what the NGO Council is or the whereabouts of Sila. I hope for the best in a troublingly-odd situation.] Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Update over a decade later: A woman named Josephine emailed me yesterday to confirm she is Sila's daughter in the story. She is gainfully employed working for the government. Her email was a wonderful surprise, and a reminder we never know how being kind and helping someone can do a world of good.