Sunday, February 19

Crescent Island

Yesterday I traveled with three other volunteers (Andrea, Gretchen & Will) to Lake Naivasha to walk among giraffe, wilderbeast, zebra and sheep on Crescent Island. Lake Naivasha, Maasai for "Rippling Water" due to the heat or simply "The Lake", has been severely depleted by the flower farms surrounding the lake. As a result, the island is now a peninsula, yet still retains its pristine aura with limited access.

People are allowed to walk with the animals since all were introduced during the filming of Out of Africa. We even saw the remnants of a set where they had constructed a house for the movie. Today the island remains undeveloped, home to several Maasai giraffe, heards of zebra, wilderbeast and sheep, and even some horses are released to graze among the wild animals. We were lucky enough to also see a small family of hippo, although no males since the mothers had taken the babies away for four months because the daddies tend to be overly aggressive towards the young. During the rainy season there are huge pythons, the only predator on the island. I hope to return and see one "in action."

We had also hoped to go mountain biking and rock climbing in Hell's Gate, described in the guidebook as Kenya's mini-Grand Canyon, but we ran out of time due to the poor condition of the roads. Instead, we had lunch at Naivasha Country Club, where I played frisbee with Will on the most beautiful grass I've seen in Kenya. I'm beginning to wonder if there's an ultimate frisbee team in Nairobi, or maybe I can start one... I continue to dream of bringing Frisbee to this continent.

Gretchen and I have already planned to return soon on a coming weekend, as we both have a keen interest in rock climbing and mountain biking; an adventure forthcoming...

Will gives the thumbs up


A la Jurassic Park


That's right- you know you want me


Wilderbeasts: The Bearded Antelope


"Don't bother looking, Earl- it's just those tourists again"



Click here to view more Crescent Island photos on snapfish.com. I apologize for redirecting you to another site, but I'm getting plain tired of Blogger's inconsistent postings for pictures.

No comments: