Saturday, November 26

Field Hockey Tourney

This weekend I watched two friends battle it out on the field hockey field. "Field" is a loose term in Kenya, this time meaning a level, hard-packed dirt square with chalked lines. My friends' team, the Eaglets, won their semi-final game 3-1. (Right: Cathy jukes past someone, a-gain.) In the finals they lost a heart-breaker in overtime 2-1 when a girl on the opposing side kicked the ball in (it's illegal to touch the ball with anything but your stick). I think the referees were tired and just wanted the game to end. I've never been one to watch field hockey, but I enjoyed watching my friends play and even got riled up with the poor officiating. But maybe that's just me when I watch sports. I also brought my frisbee along and made a few friends teaching them how to throw. I'm beginning to feel more 'at home' here in Kenya, as I make friends and get involved in daily Kenyan life.

Njeri inbounds the ball.

No comments: