Saturday, November 5

A New Bill of Rights

I was reflecting on this passage in Galatians (5:22-26) concerning the fruits of the Spirit:

By contrast [to works of the flesh], the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, competing against one another, envying one another.

In light of the recent constitutional debate here in Kenya, and reflecting on our own constitution, I wonder if we’ve actually consecrated rather than crucified the passion and desires of the flesh. Our own Bill of Rights certainly declares the rights we have to our own person, but what about our right to serve others?

I strongly believe in having principles to guide my life. Yesterday I wrote down my standards and goals and posted them up in my room. My objective: To stand firmly in what I believe and to grow resolutely into the man I desire to become.

These thoughts have led me to develop my own Bill of Rights, which I humbly share with you. While Paul writes that there are no laws against such things, I hope to shift our focus from the right to serve ourselves to the right to serve others.

All persons in the Kingdom of God have these certain, inalienable rights:
1. the right to love your neighbor.
2. the right to pursue joy in your community.
3. the right to find peace with your enemy.
4. the right to be patient with others.
5. the right to be kind to all.
6. the right to give generously to those in need.
7. the right to remain faithful to your family and friends.
8. the right to show gentleness in the face of hardship.
9. the right to control oneself against anger.

Perhaps this Bill of Rights will be taken on as a willful, pleasing Bill of Obligation for some of you. That is my prayer for me.

No comments: