Monday, November 7

I miss a good roll of TP

One thing I value – and that’s sorely missing here in Kenya – is some good toilet paper. This best Kenyan TP, although it’s probably imported from South Africa by the Asians, is called “Nice & Soft.” I think “Thin & Bumpy” would better describe this product. While it may lack in the suave department, only one side is bumpy, allowing a couple fold-overs to do the trick. Of course, if you’re looking for the extra “catch,” you should adjust accordingly. Maybe by the time I leave I’ll have a survival guide to Kenya written…

The irony of it all is that Kenyans really seem to value their TP: they sell it buy the roll here, each one individually wrapped, and I’ve seen most people buy it one roll at a time. You know you’re in a nice restaurant in Kenya when you don’t have to provide your own roll; not to mention paper towels for drying your hands (more likely there’s an electric dryer or your pants leg). Thankfully the air is dry, allowing for natural evaporation. Even so, I’ve shaken many a wet hand here.

All in all, we Americans have it luxurious when it comes to toilet paper. Maybe I should check out the Kleenex® in combo with Kenya’s finest… Add that one to the care package. But wait! Each person at work just received his/her own box of Kleenex®; was that not for our noses? And to think I had no problem sharing tissues in the States…!

This post is dedicated to my dear friend Andrew, who claimed one square was always enough… for him, at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha. i suppose that's a hint for us to pack our bags with paper products?