Sunday, August 21

Chicago Bound

This time tomorrow I'll be in Chicago at McCormick Seminary with about 30 or so other YAVs (Yound Adult Volunteers), gearing up for a week of orientation on international volunteering. I'm filling up today with much thought, many goodbyes and gathering up various loose ends as the ETD approaches.

If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small.
~ Proverbs 24:10

God gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might the Lord increases strength.
~ Isaiah 40:29

Today I rely on the Lord's strength, and not my own. I don't have it in me to adequately say goodbye to all whom I'm leaving behind. I don't have enough time today to get all the things I wish to get done. I struggle to find the joy in a year of service in Africa, when all I see is this day of departure. I feel entirely inadequate to serve. And yet this is good. These feelings of despair and angst only lead me to fall in the arms of God, to trust in the unseen, to have faith amidst uncertainty.

Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. Have a blessed day, as I am having.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Evans:

I wish you God's peace and grace as you embark on this amazing journey. You will enrich the lives of many people and in turn I hope you will be enriched as well. Know that everyone at Westminster will be on this journey with you.

Anne Gunn

Anonymous said...

yeah i still feel awful about not saying goodbye. ughhh.

i've already started packing for kenya. if i had my cell phone id tell you how many days are left...


i forgot to tell you to pack TP. i'll pray that you find some.


i miss you THIS MUCH times 298572352957. already. and you haven't even left the US.


sigh.



all my love,
reid