Tuesday, August 16

Welcome All!

This is the first post of many to come about my trials, triumphs and escapades in Africa. Right now I'm in my hometown of Wilmington, Delaware, preparing for my journey in the coming year. Before I leave for Chicago on Monday, August 22nd, I will be meeting with various people who have recently returned from Kenya OR who are playing an integral role in supporting me while I'm there. After a week-long orientation in Chicago with the other 35+ PC(USA) young adult international volunteers, I fly out to London on the 29th and will arrive at 9pm in Nairobi, Kenya, the 30th of August. My first week will be with a Kenyan family before I head off to a convent for a month-long orientation, where I will learn about Kenyan's language, politics, history and culture.

I actually won't begin working at Church World Service until roughly October 1st. One reoccuring motto from those who have been to Kenya is "be flexible." In that line of thought, I am not entirely sure exactly what I'll be doing. However, most likely I will be a reporter on various community project developments in Kenya (and possibly some nearby nations!), writing articles and stories geared toward a western audience. Most of my time will probably be spent in a modern office in Nairobi (complete with satellite uplink), with an occassional foray to the countryside in a 4x4. I hear there are no roads on the Serenghetti, but that doesn't stop people from driving to get to some remote villages.

So, how doth one communicate with me? There are several ways.
Email: evmcgowan@gmail.com
Post: You can respond/comment directly on this site to any posting or photo.
The other post/mail: Me, c/o Church World Service, PO Box 14176, Nairobi, Kenya 00800.
Phone: Well, let's not try that one for now. Occassionally, and perhaps more often than not, phone lines are dug up and the copper sold. People have to make a living somehow.

I hope that this site serves as a conduit not just between me and you, but between you and the people here, that you might see God at work on both sides of the world. Please share with others who might be moved by the words or photos found here; they do not need to know me personally. I plan to post at least weekly, although it depends somewhat on internet connections, my health, the state of the US economy, etc.

I miss most of you already and think of the others often. Please drop a note if you find the time.

Blessings & Peace,
Evans

No comments: