Tuesday, August 23

First God Calls, then God Sends

I have arrived safely in Chicago and have begun orientation with 67 other international volunteers. It's very exciting and somewhat comforting to be with other people who are about to embark on a similar journey. However, we are only a piece of the puzzle in God's mysterious plan. We have tens, if not hundreds, of people supporting us financially and prayerfully. We could not be doing this without you.

Two days ago I was commissioned by my church, Westminster Presbyterian in Wilmington, Delaware. Reflecting on the word commission, I thought both of co-mission, where the church is joining me on God's mission, and of common mission, where many people are trying to achieve the same goal: being a vessel of God's presence in others' lives. Yet perhaps each of us is in this together for different reasons; maybe we're just curious, or we want to see change, or we'd like to "find ourselves," or it feels like the right or good thing to do... whatever the reason, we are in this together. Diversity in unity, as I believe the Ethiopian national slogan goes.

I would appreciate prayers for open hearts and minds as all of us prepare for something we can't prepare for. May we submit (and admit) our desires, aspirations and expectations to God, that we would be free from fear and humble in spirit. We've received the call, and now we're preparing to go.

Thanks for playing a role.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have my prayers, best wishes, etc for a good year on this journey. Will think of you every day and hold you in my heart. Mrs. Kline

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you as you begin this venture. Hope that you have many wonderful experiences. God Bless you on your jouney.
Rog

Anonymous said...

My family will be thinking of you as you embark on this amazing journey. We all are anxious to hear about your many experiences during this special calling and we wish you all good things. Be safe.
In His name,
Donna Collins

PS - Ms. Emily Presley is a lucky gal!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for all the comments! Please leave your email, or email me at evmcgowan@gmail.com, if you would like for me to respond personally or receive monthly updates via email.