Wednesday, March 1

Derailed

I walked out of the gate of my apartment today, greeting the daytime guard, Oscar, on my way out, as I munched on a treasured PayDay from a CWS visiting donor. Oscar is an old man, most likely a grandfather, and works diligently on washing cars or hauling water, and yet always has a smile to spare for me or any of the other residents. I do my best to reciprocate.

Just outside the gate, another old man greeted me and we shook hands. He immediately went into a story about a friend he took to Kenyatta Hospital, his hand clenched around mine in an earnest plea of help. I had no idea if he were telling the truth, and after looking into his eyes I decided I didn’t have the time to figure it out. I looked and turned away from his piercing gaze, mumbling, “I’m sorry, but I can’t help.” I walked on, munching on my PayDay.

It was then I noticed all of the traffic on our local road. By the time I reached the main highway and saw the standstill traffic, I knew something was terribly wrong. When I arrived at work, Mary and other coworkers informed me of a horrific accident involving a lorry and 15 cars. Many people had died, and many more were injured.

What was this man trying to tell me? I wondered. Was there truth in his request? Did he have no where else to turn? Did it matter that I had never seen him in my life?

Now, all I can say is a prayer, writing about it and trusting that somehow in some way, Christ will bring healing to those who have felt so much pain today, both here in Kenya and elsewhere.

No comments: