Friday, December 2

Barber Shop


Today I got my haircut, and for the second time it was a bushwhacking. However, this go around I had someone else do it. The shop I went to was a tin shack on the edge of a busy road. I'm not sure my barber, Mwangi, had ever cut a mzungu's hair before. I just wanted a buzz, and thankfully he had electricity. When none of the attachments fit on the electric trimmer, Mwangi decide to go freestyle on me: no guard, no comb, just my head and the trimmer. With that kind of challenge, I must say he did remarkably well. I doubled his price with my tip, and still it was only about 60 cents. I gave these pictures to them the next day. Kenyans are really curious about photos, many of them never having one of their own (let alone a camera). Yet they aren't ones to smile, instead preferring to look casual or serious. I've returned twice since then, and each time there's a different guy cutting hair. I guess it's a shared shop, and perhaps men come by to earn a little money for the day when they have the chance? Still seeking understanding...

No comments: