Sunday, December 11

Mombasa


This past weekend the young adult volunteers took a vacation. We went to Mombasa, the large and somewhat historic Kenyan coastal city. After spending the morning walking around town with our unoffical guide Mohammed, we spent the afternoon at the Wema Center where Fiona works. The rest of the weekend was spent lounging on the beach, reading in our wooden beach chairs, playing with little ones in the pool (i.e. throwing them high into the air and not letting them drown- not an easy task, yet extremely fun).

I met a lot of people on the beach, wanting me to "promote" them by buying their various wares, receiving a massage or going out on their boat. I decided I'd take them up on a few wares as Christmas gifts for my co-workers (small pieces of ebony- a hard, black wood- carved in various animal shapes and inscribed with their names).

It's always been my dream to sail on a make-shift craft in the ocean, and I finally got my chance. We (Rachel, Will, Fiona and I) went with Captain Salem, his first mate Becca and crewman Vincent on a katamaran out to the reef. Will and I snorkeled a bit, and I found at least this part of the Indian Ocean to be lacking (compared to the Caribbean and Galapagos). Yes, I'm spoiled and loving it.


Fiona poses below with the coconut hat I gave her but didn't make; that honor belongs to Robert, a beach craftsman extrordinaire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

coolest hat ever.