Monday, December 5

Waking Life

Daisy, my laptop, crashed once again. I had to strangle her to make her go to sleep (holding down the power button or pulling the plug). She responded by no longer reconizing me as an authorized user, and as a result I cannot log into Windows. Later that day, my desktop Stan become slower than his usual rate of 100 RPMs, going through exponential decay until I finally had to choke him, too. With my co-worker Mary in Tanzania until tomorrow, I have a computer to use for today, at least.

It's amazing what we take for granted. As I walked from one shop to the next, trying to figure out what is going on with my computers, I passed by many people on the street. Many were either lounging about or selling some random object I had no idea where they'd gotten it from. I became nautious in my stomach, not because of the smells (which I've adapted to) but the thought of how petty my troubles were.

Here in Kenya, I have been blessed with good health, nutritious food, adequate shelter, nice clothes... yet so many people here do not have these things. They wonder each day what the Lord will provide and what God will take away. They have little choice in how they feel, what they eat, where they sleep or what they wear; and therefore, they take nothing for granted.

It's like, DUH Evans! People here are poor and in need. I knew this, but I'd gotten used to it- something I hope I never get used to.

There are times when we can help. Yet when we cannot help, or feel that we cannot, our response shouldn't be to ignore the issue or take our own gifts for granted. Rather, we should keep these fellow human beings in thought and prayer, as our eyes keep adjusting to God's light in a world full of darkness.

No comments: