Thursday, December 8

WEMA Center

Today our missionary group visited a fellow volunteer at her place of work. The WEMA Center is an all-girls orphanage that takes girls (sometimes literally) off the streets and 'rehabilitates' them back into economically-productive and stable lives. They provide "non-formal education, vocational training, medical care, food, clothing, HIV/AIDS awareness, and counselling and spiritual guidance." From what I saw, these girls are being directly impacted in a tremendously positive way.

My friend Fiona has a Masters in social work and is doing some good and exciting things at the center. WEMA was recently recognized on an international level in New York City by the World of Children Awards with the Kellogg's Child Development Award Honoree. Fiona is helping to coordinate their new half-way house, hoping to further helps gals to cope with the tough realities on the street.

The love these girls have for Fiona was readily apparent as soon as we approached the center. They immediately latched onto her, crying out her name and saying how much they missed her. She'd only been gone since that morning. I was able to hang out with some of the girls, throwing the Frisbee and talk to them a little about their lives at the center. Their preference to speak Swahili in stead of Englis and the size of the group rather limited the conversation. After asking my name, where I came from and what I was doing in Kenya, they asked me if I had a girlfriend. It wasn't the first time (or only reason) I was thankful I could say Ndiyo: "Yes." We were able to move beyond those questions and connect on some level, and I promised to write. What I will say I'm not sure, but I'm so thankful for these girls, for the center and for what my friend Fiona is doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so cool.. i kind of want to major in social work now.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I am so grateful you had a link to Wema! I saw part of a documentary yesterday on AIDS orphans and was completely drawn to Wema. I googled, and your site came up with the link. I think I'm going to sponsor a girl. thanks!!