Sunday, September 4

A Day of Rest

Today was a lazy day. We went to the local church, Evergreen, at 10:30am and got out a little before 2pm. Yes, it was over three hours, although partially due the church’s four year anniversary. Its growth was quite impressive, especially given the divisive neighborhood in which it resided. Predominately a rich suburb, the burro has two distinct slum areas where all the day workers live. Somehow they all meet together at church, although everyone dresses up so I could not tell who was from what financial status. In the afternoon I had a very nice talk with my host father, or baba, Samuel. He had a lot of questions about the US, especially concerning African-Americans, and offered some keen insight onto American culture… none of which I can remember offhand, yet I can say I have had many enlightening conversations with Kenyans. I’m finding these people (ni ni) to be quite friendly and direct, which was not quite my experience in Ecuador.

No comments: