Sunday, September 11

Kenya, not Kansas

Today our group was the guest of the Church of the Torch, the first Presbyterian church planted in East Africa (I believe). From what I gather, the name was given in reference to a light in the darkness from Scripture, and perhaps also seeing Africa as traditionally the Dark Continent. Inside this amazing stone church was a full congregation of Kenyans, singing, swaying and clapping to the worship music. Our group presented a musical piece from Ghana and encouraged everyone to participate. It was my largest audience I’ve had so far on the guitar, and I must say it was a very good experience. While we had prepared a presentation for them, we had not been told our other parts in the service. Not ten minutes before we went up front I was asked to give the Intercessory Prayer. With what was happening in the country with the constitutional referendum, the Katrina catastrophe and the 9-11 anniversary, I had plenty to pray for. How often does one come to a foreign place with little talent and know-how, only to be welcomed in and eagerly encouraged to lead worship?

Afterwards we were invited to the Dykstras, a missionary couple with the PC(USA) from Delaware. We had a very nice visit with them and were able to share our stories of how and why we came to Kenya. They have a very nice and quaint home in the midst of a developing campus for theological students. There are also medical services in a nearby hospital and free schooling to children who have lost their parents to AIDS. They were very gracious to us; we felt so at home that when they offered us tea we didn’t feel obligated to have some!

This afternoon I labored over washing my clothes. Very few people have washing machines here, and so most of the washing is done by hand. I took two buckets, one for washing and one for rinsing, and sat outside for well over two hours scrubbing and squeezing. No verdict yet on how well I did since the clothes haven’t finished drying, but let me tell you how lucky you are to have a washing machine! Anything white is a major pain since the stains are hard to get out- I think I’ll use bleach next time. At least my clothes should smell nice even if they now are soiled AND soapy.

No comments: