Friday, September 23

Negotiating the Possible

I am reading a book I have long desired to read which my mom gave me not long ago: Beyond the Matrix, by Stephen Faller. It is an in-depth look at the Matrix Trilogy and how its theories and ideas might apply to everyday life. While at Davidson I had attempted to tie in some ideas from the Matrix with a Philosophy class on language and the mind. I was quite proud of the paper and excited with the ideas and connections I had come up with. Even so, my professor did not agree and gave me an F+. Today as a post-grad I am free to explore those ideas without them affecting my GPA.

I was struck by this quote on page 60: “Some people prefer the definite over the possible.” This simple idea has quite profound implications when looking at political debates that polarize nations. In the US we have seen issues such as abortion, affirmative action and discrimination based on sexual orientation divide people with an invisible yet very palpable line. Here in Kenya, one is either in the “yes” or the “no” group on the upcoming referendum on the new constitution. Both leaders of the groups have said the time for discussion is over, even with almost two months left before the election.

Faller is quite indicting of these false dichotomies which paralyze society in debate. Each group frames the issue in a way that makes their position arguably a truth. In this referendum, the “no” group focuses on the excessive powers of the president, while the “yes” group promotes the improvements in women’s and land rights. Both groups argue a good case, but as long as they are set against each other one will have to beat out the other. The other option would be to align the two sides and then negotiate their differences. In the end more people would win and society could move forward, instead of leaving the kindling for debate and have the culture burn with it. Of course, negotiating takes hard work and we have yet to see our (or Kenyan’s) politicians take the hard way.

Along the same vein, I hope to not place Kenyans or myself for that matter in a definite category, but instead strive for the possible. This means not only change in my perspective of me being here but also change in my self to adapt to my newfound surroundings. As long as I keep the door open to new possibilities, willingly inviting them in, I will learn, grow and live. The definite provides more solid ground, yet reeds bend in the wind as trees fall. As the comedian and social commentator Will George?? once said, “You might be on the right track, but you’ll still get run over if you just sit there.”

No comments: