Wednesday, September 28

Stepping Out to Step In

This week has been very different than most. We (the group) usually are on some sort of schedule that has us going to one place or another, or listening to one lecturer or another. This week is full of running around getting random stuff for our living needs/wants (see next day’s entry). All of us need a water filter, broom, dustpan, buckets/tubs for washing, an iron and lots of patience. While it’s been great to be with everyone this first month and having everything catered to us, I’m sensing a big change coming once we’re on our own. I fluctuate from wishing on the future but also enjoying the present as much as I can, knowing the future will turn to present in due time.

I’m reading a very theoretical and interesting book, Ministry at the Margins, by Anthony Gittins. In talking of people’s framework, he describes entering into another culture as beginning to think in a different way. The author describes this as a stepping out process, reminding us that we’re not stepping out into a vacuum but rather stepping in to another way of doing things (58). Being outside of your comfort zone makes you feel vulnerable and ignorant, causing people to either curl up or lash out (to denote extremes). Yet there are other options of risking, trusting and asking for help. I hope I remember this when I am feeling frustrated and angry at this new culture, lack of control, rapid speech in foreign languages, and all the other new experiences causing conflicting emotions.

I came here precisely because it would be hard and not easy, so that God would soften my heart and fortify my spirit as my character is continually challenged. That is my hope; that is my prayer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you read sunsets and sushi yet?