Saturday, October 22

Chai Crawl

Kenyans are very, very hospitable. For my last day in Matunda, we went around visited all of Wycliffe’s friends and family. First we had lunch at his friend’s Jessica’s place. Four of us were crammed in a small room that had a bed, four chairs and a stove (her entire living space). Next we went to his friend Kengede’s mother’s house, and she served us chai, Kenyan tea that’s heavy with the milk (I’m growing a healthy addiction).

I had brought my Frisbee, so we decided to throw around some. I don’t think anyone had seen a Frisbee before, and I felt like the Pied Piper as all the children followed me and my disc. When we overthrew, the children would run and pick up the disc, and many made quite impressive throws. I dreamed of bringing a whole bunch of Frisbees to Africa, maybe in conjunction with AIDS or nutritional awareness.

Next we went to his friend Edu’s house (short for Edward) and had chai again. His place was slightly larger with a curtain dividing the living room from his bed chamber (similar to Wycliffe’s house). As it was getting dark, Wycliffe and I paid our last visit to his grandmother. She had apparently been expecting us since 10 AM, and we were late even by African standards. Nonetheless, she warmly welcomed us with a full supper and, of course, chai once more.

We returned via dirt paths underneath a starry African night sky, passing mud homes lit from within by gas lanterns: The surreal epitome of serene.

No comments: