Wednesday, October 19

Day and Night

Sighing, I dropped my bags and collapsed on my hotel bed. A cool breeze came in from Lake Victoria, and I lifted my shirt to allow it to come in and evaporate the day's sweat. The day saw us visit a number of different projects, visit people in their home, talk with community members about their needs and successes, and interview project coordinators about the challenges they face. We had been with them the entire day.

Yet now it is night and I find myself in a different scene. I have a hot, nutritious meal waiting downstairs for me, whereas they are probably still cooking something basic. I have running water within 5 steps, whereas they must travel 5 Km, pump their water, pay for it and then haul it back. And it's hardly clean. I have a mattress to sleep on all to myself- I can only imagine what their conditions will be. Even for those people employed by the agencies and dressed nicely to see us- I wonder where they are returning to tonight.

How close do we get to those we are trying to assist? How far do we extend the reaching hand, before we too are pulled asunder? As someone blessed with opportunity, there are many bridges. How many will I cross? Will I ever return?

Often I hope- sometimes I fear- I will, and all too easily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evans:

Nice reading about your experiences. I'll suggest to Danny that he put a plug in for WPC folks to come visit your blog.

How do you connect? Is there wireless where you are?

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey, It's your cousin Renee from Mobile, Alabama. I found your blog very interesting. Your Grandmother McGowan sent me the link to it. If you have a list of people you send updates please include my email address on it. My email address is blueflash38@bellsouth.net