Saturday, October 1

The Simple Life

“My instincts tell me it’s time to watch T.V.” Will and I have just moved into our apartment, and certain essentials still remain elusive: a stove (cooker), pillows and a working television. After finishing unpacking, using a bogus phone card to call home and making chicken sandwiches (from group dinner last night), we fiddled our thumbs and pondered over what we should do with ourselves. I did fix the squeaky bed using my new tools (see 9-29 entry). We played some cards, listened to music and even started a quote board (the first of which is Will’s- see above).

Thankfully we had each other; else I would be feeling quite lonely right now. I try not to think about what I would be doing a few months ago in college on a Saturday night. The apartment is so bare, and we don’t have money to buy much more stuff or go out with the friends we don’t have. Frankly, I didn’t think things would slow down this much until I got married, and then there would always be the “romance” feature. Is this post-college mortem? Is this what people do with themselves in a new environment after just moving in? How long will this last?

In orientation we were told about the importance of “simple living” as a missionary. I never thought myself as a materialist, but I’m going through entertainment withdrawal. No T.V., no movies, no friends to call, no money in which to get these things. And really I’m exaggerating a bit: there are things I could buy. In fact, I’ve begun to make a list: puppy, working TV, DVD player, gym membership, mountain bike… I could go on, and this is the point. When does it end? Is it when there’s no more money (or time) to spend? Must I buy things to make myself feel accomplished/satisfied (see 9-29 entry)? My budget doesn’t allow these amenities, even though I have gobs of time. I could dip into my own resources, but then that would be superseding the perfectly adequate stipend I’ve been given to live on.

In times of scarcity, I can either dream of what I don’t have or count the things I do have. What I have taken for granted is now a blessing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should learn to knit.

Anonymous said...

Yo Evans-
Never mind what anonymous whats-his-name says...although I'm sure the American singles gig sounds pretty good by now. What you're experiencing is good-ole "fill up the empty space / time penchant that we Post Moderns have inherited from generations past who were driven to make life "better". Welcome to the fruits of our efforts. My suggestion is to use the silence as a gift. You've done a good job digesting your experience so far. Take it to the next step and reflect on what's brought you to where you are. Write down everything-miss nothing. Be honest and be yourself. We're proud of you. Drop me a line if you get stuck.
Rolf Carboni