Sunday, October 30

Of Women, Field Hockey and Aviators

I went over to Parklands Sports Club today to watch my friends Cathy and Jeri play field hockey. Even though they lost 3-1, it was an exciting game. To be a little more honest, I had imagined Emily out there playing, as I never particularly enjoyed watching the game (perhaps because I’ve never played?) and never got to see her play.

A weird coincidence: I met a guy in the stands named Ali, and he invited me to play field hockey with them at the university. Apparently it didn’t matter that I wasn’t a student, hadd never played before or didn’t have the equipment. Later that night I saw him on TV, settling some sort of dispute in a game that had occurred early that day. Looks like I just missed being on Kenyan TV. Maybe next time.

Later on I treated Cathy and Jeri to a small bite to eat by the poolside. We were in an enclosed, country club-esque area similar to the United States, and here I was treating two girls to a late lunch. Things I never thought would happen in Kenya do. We (OK, so they) were talking mainly in Kiswahili, and I enjoyed picking up on their witty dialogue as much as I could. Jeri was sitting in the sun, so I offered my Aviator sunglasses to her. Somehow in the miscommunication that followed she ended up thanking me for giving her the sunglasses (for keeps). Luckily I have another pair, though I really don’t mind seeing another woman in Aviators, as my girlfriend is fond of wearing them.

So I lived somewhat vicariously today, thinking of Emily often as I shared time with these two Kenyan ladies, and it was fun.

No comments: