Monday, October 3

First Day of Work


I found my place of work today and am quite impressed! We have our own office building in a complex of other faith-based organizations within close walking distance of my apartment. The staff here was not entirely sure when I was coming, but have been very welcoming and accomodating. Thankfully it's a casual atmosphere and I won't be wearing a tie everyday.

My original job description was Community Development Worker on the general PCEA paperwork. Today I discovered a little more about what I'll be doing in my year in Kenya. The organization I work for, Church World Service (CWS), has its regional Africa office here in Nairobi. I will be working as a facilitator of information, communicating between the donors and those being helped in a way that is engaging and inspirational. As I orientate myself to the job, I'm reading over the various initiatives and program pieces that currently underway and planned through CWS and its partner organizations. My task is somewhat daunting: to make this material more user-friendly and accessible to donors in efforts to encourage giving. I will be traveling to the various sights to 'gather' stories from individuals that have been (hopefully) positively affected by the community-based projects.

In light of what I'll be doing, I'd like to enlist your help. What sort of vision do you have for aiding the people in Africa? Are there stories you would like to hear about a certain region or group of people? What issue is most important to you? Do you seek more ways to be engaged but struggle to find appropiate or desireable methods? What information, story or presentation moves you to give? What other questions should I be asking? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Please email me with any ideas, concerns or questions you might have. I greatly appreciate your continued support in whatever way you feel led.

No comments: