Friday, October 14

Murang'a School

This morning started like any other at work: back to my computer and putting together the newsletter updating our donors on various projects I’d only read about. Then it came: the invitation to go see one of our pilot project schools under the Safe School Zone (SSZ) initiative. I had time to grab my jacket and camera before we were off: Andrew (driver), Enoch (project analyst), Jane (project director), Mary (project chair), and me (volunteer?). When we left, I was under the impression we were going for a visit and would only be gone an hour. An hour later we arrived at the school in the town of Murang’a. We met with the district education minister in an impromptu (though highly successful meeting), before heading to a meeting with teachers and parents from the 3 schools in the area involved in the project.

The meeting was designed to assess how the project had been going since its incepting on 2 years ago. From what I can tell, the project promotes overall school safety in order to improve the mentality and work ethic of the administration, staff and students. What that looks like so far is putting up a barbwire fence around the school and a very nice concrete gate at the entrance. I think they have also introduced new curriculum. Hopefully I’ll find out more; the meeting was conducted mostly in Kiswahili and Kikuyu. We returned at 6:15pm, and surprisingly there were still people in the office. Evidently the work ethic had inspired not only the students but the project implementators as well.

This was posted in the District Education Office, and I found it of note:

Seven Deadly Sins

Wealth without Work
Pleasure without Conscience
Knowledge without Character
Business without Morality
Science without Humanity
Worship without Sacrifice
Politics without Principle

~ Mahatma Ghandi

No comments: